Welcome to the University of Maryland!
Before being able to access most online resources at the
university, you must establish your online identifier, your
Directory ID, and an associated password.
Here are the steps to follow in order to establish your Directory
ID and Password:
- Identity Proofing - We do not, at this time, require in-person identity
verification, so, as an alternative, you must provide several facts
that uniquely identify you. This information includes:
- a portion of your Social Security Number,
- your surname (last name),
- your birth date, and
- a phone number that you we have on file for you.
- Once we have verified your identity, you may select your
Directory ID. An initial ID has been established that is
based on your name. You may keep this pre-assigned ID or
choose a different ID. Please, carefully consider your
choice, because this ID will define your email address
and all login ID's at the university.
- In order to accept your ID, either the pre-assigned one or the one
you choose, you must review and agree to the Policy on the Acceptable Use of Information
Technology Resources, which applies to all members of the university community.
- Once you have established your Directory ID, you will be asked to establish your
initial password to the system.
- Next, you will need to provide answers to several security questions. If you forget
your password, your responses to these security questions may be used to establish a new password.
- Finally, you will be able to activate
your Division of IT supported accounts, including your email account.
to select your University Directory ID.
If you have already set your initial University Directory ID,
you can set your initial University
Directory password and then activate your UMD