Notification of Claimed Infringement of Copyright
Pursuant to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (P.L. 105-304), notifications of claimed infringement using University of Maryland computing resources should be filed using the following contact information:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 301.405.8787
- Fax: 301.405.0720
- Surface Mail:
Division of Information Technology
University of Maryland
4415 Computer and Space Sciences
College Park, MD 20742
In notifying us of the alleged copyright infringement, please be sure to include the following information:
- A description of the copyrighted work that is the subject of the claimed infringement (if multiple works are being infringed at a single site, a representative list of such works at the site is adequate);
- A description of the infringing material and information sufficient to permit us to locate the material;
- Contact information for you, including your address, telephone number, and/or email address;
- A statement by you that you have a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- A statement by you, signed under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that you have the authority to enforce the copyrights that are claimed to be infringed; and
- A physical or electronic signature (i.e., first name, last name, title) of the copyright owner or a person authorized to act on its behalf.
Failure to include all of the above-listed information may result in a delay of the processing of your complaint.
Notice Regarding Port Address Translation
Portions of the University of Maryland network utilize Port Address Translation (PAT). As it is possible for multiple systems to simultaneously utilize the same externally visible IP address, an address alone is not sufficient to locate the source of infringing material. It is essential that as much identifying information as possible is included in the DMCA notification. Such information should include:
- IP Addresses: source and destination
- Network Port Numbers: source and destination
- Timestamp: accurate time and timezone information is critical
For more information, see the university's Policy on the Acceptable Use of Information Technology Resources.
For more information on the Digital Millennium Copyright Act please see the U.S. Copyright Office's website.